2009年6月3日水曜日

Homework #5

1.Are feelings, emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc..?
→YES. I think every people in the world has feelings, emotions and facial expressions. If there are differences that method of expressions by country, I think we can understand that because there is any universal points in our expression. If we have a purpose of communicating our feelings, it will be understood by other countries people.

2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. ( 10 minimum) Then, write the English translation.
①嬉しい・・・happy
②幸せな・・・lucky
③さびしい・・・lonely
④悲しい・・・sad
⑤緊張した・・・nervous
⑥疲れた・・・tired
⑦キモい・・・yucky
⑧ウザい・・・messy
⑨眠い・・・sleepy
⑩呆れた・・・shocked

3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English?
→NO. I have no ideas, but I think it is possible to translate every Japanese feelings into English in some translation.

8 件のコメント:

  1. I had never heard expression such like a messy. Moreover, I had thought "Yucky" was useing when someone just ate a bad food. It is funny and deep!

    返信削除
  2. Hi.
    You have diffarent answer to me about NO,3.
    Very interesting!
    Of course we can tell our emotion in English, But I cannot express fluently in my real emotion Because of diffarent culture.
    I think so everytime when I talk to foreigner.
    Please tell me your answer.

    返信削除
  3. It is interesting that you translate Kimoi and Uzai in English. I want to try it!

    返信削除
  4. I like to see how different words have been interprested in different journals. Yours were very interesting.

    返信削除
  5. 1→I agree with you. And if provably, every people who live in the world understand like you, the earth will be a peaceful world.

    2→ It's very educational for me. Especially, 'ウザイ and キモイ'.

    返信削除
  6. No.3 is difficult question. But, we try to think. I think so.
    Your blog is interesting.

    返信削除
  7. I didn't know Kimoi=yucky!!
    I think English dont have the word "切ない"

    返信削除
  8. Hello,
    Your opinion is interesting for me.
    I think that Japanese sometimes cannot translate in Englosh. Japanese has many means in a word.

    返信削除